Serves: 24- 4″ cookies
All Purpose Flour 3 cups (390g)
Natural Cocoa Powder 2 teaspoons
Baking Soda 1 teaspoon (5g)
Ground Cinnamon ¾ teaspoon (2g)
Ground Ginger 1¼ teaspoon
Cloves ⅛ teaspoon
Nutmeg ⅛ teaspoon
Salt ¼ teaspoon
Black Pepper ⅛ teaspoon *optional but awesome!
Vegan Butter ½ cup (113g)
Light Brown Sugar ½ cup packed (105g)
Molasses ⅔ cup (226g) (158ml)
Flax Meal 1 Tablespoon (8g)
Hot Aquafaba *or hot water 3 Tablespoons (45ml)
Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
1. Combine flax meal with the hot aquafaba or water and whisk smooth, add the vanilla extract
2. let it stand for about 5 minutes to thicken to a paste
3. Sift the flour with the cocoa powder, baking soda and all of the spices and the salt and pepper, set aside.
4. Cream the vegan butter with the brown sugar until light and fluffy about 4-5 minutes,
5. Add the egg replacer mixture and then mix well, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl for an even mix
6. Add molasses to the creamed butter mixture and mix well
7. Add the sifted flour mixture all at once, mix until it is all incorporated evenly.
8. Turn out the entire dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap.
9. Wrap the dough tightly and press into a disc.
10. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight before rolling. *see notes above the recipe
11. Once out of the fridge you must re-roll this dough. It may seem dry and crumbly this is normal, you must
mash it all together and knead it back together, then RE-roll on a floured work surface until it is pliable.
12. Cut your shapes, and place on a parchment lined sheet pan.
13. Preheat the oven to 350° F, you will bake for approximately 18-22 minutes or until light golden brown.