Here it is, folks, the recipe I’ve been wanting to make for years: vegan Oreo birthday cookies! Decadent chocolate cookies covered in rich cheesy frosting and colorful sprinkles. No doubt you’ll be back for more.
- (1 stick + 2 tablespoons) – vegan butter, softened at room temp, I used Earth Balance (not melted)
- 8 original Oreos (not double stuf’d)
- (1 3/4 cup) – all-purpose flour.
- 35g (¼ cup) – black cocoa powder.
- ½ teaspoon – baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon – baking soda
- ½ teaspoon – salt
- (1/2 cup) – granulated sugar
- (1/2 cup)) – brown sugar
- (6 tablespoons) – non-dairy milk, must be lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting :
- (½ stick) – vegan butter, softened at room temp, I used Earth Balance (not melted)
- (6 tablespoons) – vegan plain cream cheese, I used Kite Hill
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- (1 ½ cup) – powdered sugar, sifted
Oreo Cake Balls :
- 4 original Oreos (not double stuf’d)
- 2–3 tablespoons – vegan cream cheese frosting
Large cookie scoop
2 large baking sheets
Wire cooling rack
Piping bag & piping tip, optional
First, take the butter out of the fridge to soften to room temperature. Depending on the brand used, this can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Do not start this recipe with cold butter. Don’t be tempted to melt it, consult the instructions!
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350° F and line two large baking sheets with baking paper. Set them aside until you want to use them.
Then, in a food processor, grind 8 Oreos into fine crumbs. Next, in a medium bowl, combine the crumbled nuts, whole wheat flour, black cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside until ready to use.
In a large bowl, beat the softened vegan butter, white sugar and brown sugar with a mixer or electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy.
Add the warm non-dairy milk and vanilla extract to the bowl. Mix on low speed to combine everything. Scrape down the bowl if necessary. The mixture may not seem well blended, but this is normal.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed. You want a smooth cookie dough.
Next, using a large cookie cutter, cut 8 balls the same size as the cookie dough and flatten to about 1 cm thick.
Bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes on a baking sheet. Then let them cool completely on a rack. Allow cookies to cool completely before decorating.
Sugar Glaze :
In a medium bowl or the bowl of a mixer, beat the melted butter and cream cheese until creamy.
Add the vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
Gradually add the powdered sugar and continue mixing until fully incorporated.
If the frosting is too light, add more powdered sugar.
Transfer the icing to a piping bag and pour the icing. Set aside until ready to use.
Finely chop 4 Oreos in a food processor.
Mix the chopped Oreos and cream cheese frosting in a bowl until smooth. Form into small cupcake-like pieces with your hands and set aside.
Spread a generous portion of the cream cheese frosting over the cookies, add the frosting and finally sprinkle the cookie crumbs on top. Serve and enjoy.